Blue Box

My first denunciation of shit food  came unrighteously. It was years ago when I stood firmly in my home and demanded that I would not eat Macaroni and Cheese out of that damnable box anymore. My wife can live on the stuff. I was foundered in it. It's cheap, easy, and convenient. It felt like we ate it as a side three nights a week and as a lunch equally as often. I was done with it. I knew that it couldn't be doing my health any favors and I was so damn sick of even looking at it. It led to a lot of domestic strife. The strife really did not end. Occasionally I would find an empty blue box in the garbage. I would grill her about her gastronomical infidelity. There would be a small quarrel and I always came out feeling like the dickface in the matter. But I stuck to my guns.

Then Kroger put this stuff on sale.

I don't yet know how I feel about it. It's been about 7 years since I boycotted boxed mac and cheese. I no longer fly into a homicidal rage when I see it prepared. I read labels so I can appreciate that the Annie's variety is probably healthier to put in my body as it's ingredients list doesn't look like an inventory of a collegiate chemistry lab. It tastes almost exactly like the crafty name brand. So we do have it, occasionally, as a side dish now. Everything in moderation, including moderation, right?

I guess this is how we reach Joe Sixpack? Cleverly replace his favorite shit food addictions with alternatives that look and taste the same? I don't know that I agree with the philosophy, but it makes things a bit less tense in my house.

0 comments: